Being part of the 80% isn’t so bad
- 22 Comment
I talked about this in Commentz back in September, but wanted to share here.
I read this stat via Mashable which essentially reinforced the 80/20 rule on Twitter: “80 percent of users are ‘meformers,’ or ‘me now’ status updaters. The rest (20 percent) are informers who use the channels to share informational updates.”
The stat wasn’t surprising, however I was a bit miffed at the host of negative responses towards the “80″ group. The very basis of Twitter was built on the question, “What are you doing?” Y-O-U. The tool has evolved and we each use it as we see fit.
There are no official rules, no “right ways” to use Twitter or any other network. Social networks are popular, in part, because they allow us to “tell the story of me.” It could mean a subconscious validation of one’s existence (I know, a little deep) or a simple way to connect with friends and family.
Whatever the case, that 80 percent (which might include most of us) are the people we’re all trying to communicate with.
<stepping off soapbox>