33 PR professionals looking for jobs tell employers why they should be hired
- 57 Comment
What can we do for our peers when times get tough? Start a campaign. That’s what Arik Hanson and Valerie Simon did with their upcoming movement, Help a PR Pro Out Day (#HAPPO). On Friday, February 19, from 10 am to 2 pm CST professionals and agencies from across the country will donate their time and talents to help those who are currently unemployed connect with employers. A little PR stimulus.
Because I won’t be able to participate this is my contribution.
I offered public relations professionals currently looking for full-time, paid positions the opportunity to share their information right here. All they had to do was email me their name, Twitter ID (if applicable), link to an online resume and provide a response to, “You should hire me because…” <Yes, some did not submit correctly.>
- EMPLOYERS: If you’re currently hiring, check out these socially savvy folks who quickly identified an opportunity, responded correctly and made themselves available to you.
- EMPLOYED PROS: As you read the responses look to see if there is an opportunity to offer advice or guidance. Perhaps a new way of wording something in their resume or a suggestion on the approach to their pitch. Even better? Maybe you know someone who can help them find a job.
(Entries are listed without editing and in the order they were received.)
- Renee Alexander Hamilton (@LuckyRenee): “Hire me because i can deliver authentic, engaging communications in 140 chrctrs or less”
- Andrew Dumont (@andrewdumont): “You should hire me because I get results.”
- Kevin Desoto (@kevin_desoto): “You should hire me because: As one of the most dynamic social media connectors, Kevin DeSoto is raising the bar in the social media scene. What Kevin has accomplished through his expert knowledge and creative flair, is attracting national media attention. Kevin uses his skills to help others while keeping important current events in the forefront. Kevin has started a new form of connecting & helping others – just by being himself, believing that powerful tools like the internet should be used responsibly.”
- Vicki Dolenga (@hermorrine): “You should hire me because I’m an enthusiastic go-getter with nearly 5 years of experience handling social media and public relations for artists and bands. I love getting the word out about my clients and building excitement, and I’d be thrilled to do the same for your clients as well! If you’re looking for someone with experience and knowledge that enjoys new challenges – I’m the person you need.”
- Raven L. Everidge (@raveve): “You should hire me because I can become your next valuable asset. I have a passion for PR and am skilled in social media. I love taking on a challenge and creating something new. If you hire me I would make sure that each and every day you were reminded why I was brought on. I would love to work in the Charleston, SC area. If given the chance I can wow and impress. I have a strong passion for goals and reaching them. Hire me, and you can see me work to accomplish your goals.”
- Kimberly A. Dixon (@seattlekimd): “You should hire me because I am self-motivated, hardworking and creative. I have strong written and verbal communication skills as well as an enthusiasm for public relations. Having worked for a leading media agency for over two years, I am comfortable managing multiple projects under strict deadlines as well as working with complex data systems. I thrive under pressure and feel that my skills, personality and desire to succeed will enable me to make a positive contribution to any public relations team. Thank you for your time and consideration!”
- Ligaya Malones (@kauaiianSun): “You should hire me because you need a hard-working, flexible and deadline-driven teammate who will help your company grow and your clients to shine. You also need (or are contemplating) a social media informant that has the potential to lead and inspire. My passion for building relationships, superb creative writing skills and positive attitude are a solid foundation from which to develop a dynamic public relations professional! When do I start?”
- Tchernavia Sessum (@socialitestatus): “You should hire me because I am eager to get the job done for my clients by managing their reputations effectively and keeping well-rounded relationships with their publics. I’d like to that you for this opportunity.”
- Nadia Daeng (@nadiadaeng): “You should hire me because when you love what you do, you never have to work a day in your life. I have never worked a day in my life. I have been doing communications since I was a 19 year old intern. I am 27 this year and there isn’t anything that I feel more passionate about than being able to be the voice for others who have yet to be heard. I have impressed and proven skeptics wrong by being able to effortlessly learn on the job across different disciplines of PR – regardless of not having prior experience. I am dedicated, enthusiastic, but most of all, I am driven.”
- Dana Lewis (@danamlewis): “You should hire me because I graduate on May 8, and I am ready to start building a new relationship with an organization full time. I have 3 years of experience while completing two bachelor’s degrees in public relations and political science with a minor in the Computer-Based Honors Program at The University of Alabama. These include co-founding South by Social Health, an international unconference; building and managing a three-person social media department at The Crimson White; co-creating and moderating #hcsm, the healthcare communications & social media Twitter chat; and working for organizations such as Novo Nordisk, the American Diabetes Association, ARAMARK, and more. My skill set includes strengths in writing, technical computing and programming, data analysis including SPSS proficiency, and strategic planning.”
- Emily Pittner (@emilypittner): You should hire me because… As my college career comes to a close, I am prepared and motivated to pursue the PR world head on through fresh eyes. I have proven my leadership qualities and responsibility through campus involvement and internship opportunities. As a previous intern for Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, my experience sharpened my desire for PR and helped me learn how to develop and work on several projects at once, work quickly and efficiently both independently and in a team environment, and further develop my analytical and problem solving skills. I am ready and willing to prove these characteristics of myself to you!”
- Antoinette Aggrey (@msaggrey): “You should hire me because of my drive, ambition and dedication to this profession. I recently received my Master’s in Public Relations from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University and the courses I took allowed me to gain theoretical and managerial knowledge that is necessary for any successful practitioner to know. Combined with past internships which gave me hands on experience working in a professional setting, I am seeking a position in a challenging environment where I can apply both my education and work experiences to contribute to the organization’s success.”
- Christina Binz (@christinabinz): “You should hire me because…I would be an asset to you. I’m a writer, a creator and an engager. I’m passionate about turning a sentence, I design and come up with ideas in my sleep, and I know the importance of interaction. With a PR degree from Penn State, I possess the knowledge, drive and learning skills to be a great employee. My interested paths include sports PR or an Account Executive in a PR agency. I love connecting with social media, producing creative content, and writing releases and stories to spread the word. Hire me because I want to work for you.”
- Stephanie Kruzick: You should hire me because I am an outgoing, overachieving professional who is striving to learn anything and everything there is to know about public relations.
- Mary Krueger: I am motivated, enthusiastic and dedicated to contributing to the growth and success of any company. I am graduating from Auburn University in May 2010 with a degree in public relations. I have lived in Chicago, San Francisco and Atlanta, so I am ready and willing to go anywhere life takes me. My educational, occupational and vocational experiences have allowed me to realize my talents as a communicator, leader and contributor to each organization I am a part of. I believe I would be an excellent addition to any firm and I hope to have the opportunity to show my talents.
- Wendy Unsworth (@wunsworth): “You should hire me: I recently received a fortune from a cookie that read, “Your love of life will carry you through any circumstance.” My current circumstance? I’m unemployed and I know the job market is fearcly competitive. To be blunt, I’ll be the best damn hire you ever made! Do you have the job that’s the perfect fit for me? Where my energy, analytical skills, organizational skills and creativity will help me overcome any challenges or opportunities that come my way. Besides, I’m tough. How many Cubs fans do you know that survive living in a White Sox world in Orland Park? HA!”
- Katherine Jungers: “Hire me because I’ve worked on a number of communications projects from launching environmental initiatives to rebranding a nonprofit to producing a PSA to running special events. I am experienced in corporate communications, media relations, project management, event planning, press release and presentation development and strategic planning. With experience in the sports & entertainment industry, I work very well under pressure, often handling multiple projects with simultaneous deadlines. In addition to my experience, I am currently completing a graduate degree in Integrated Marketing from the University of Chicago.”
- DeAnn Baxter, APR (@deannbaxter): “When you hire DeAnn Baxter, APR, you are hiring quality. My broad experience in various public relations settings, combined with my solid formal education, have allowed me to hone my skills in all aspects of public relations, including campaigns, media relations, social media, and event planning. In every assignment I complete, I always give 100 percent. With me, your organization will find a solution focused, detail-oriented, outgoing co-worker. I am a consummate professional, dependable and affable, and enthusiastic and eager to get back to work. This PR pro is available immediately and willing to relocate. Thank you for your consideration.”
- Katy Post (@auburnkaty2): “You should hire me because I can be counted upon with minimal supervision, I hit the ground running no matter what the assignment, I have strong writing and communication skills, and most importantly I love Public Relations and I love interacting with people. I have served as an intern for various Atlanta companies and organizations and I feel as if my broad range of experience has allowed me to gain experience and knowledge that will allow me to excel in any job I peruse. In fact to quote Lance Skelly from Emory Healthcare, ‘I have both managed and worked with many interns within the last 12 years as a public affairs officer, and I can certainly attest to the fact that Katy has distinguished herself as one of – if not the best – I have worked with.’”
- Andreana “Addy” Drencheva (@addy_dren): “You should hire me because my communications, time management, organizational and leadership skills, and experiences in public relations, social media, events planning, research and marketing will contribute to the success of your organization. I am a strategic thinker with strong planning and execution abilities, who is flexible and thrives in a fast paced on-time deliverable environment. I pay attention to details, handle multiple projects, seek challenges, solve problems and deliver results.”
- Stephanie Majercik: “You should hire me because I am a well-rounded individual with a broad range of public relations experience that is eager to get involved more in the public relations field. I’m not afraid to try new things, I work well with others, I LOVE to have fun, I can speak, read, and write German, and know how the European Union works. I am excited for the new challenges that await me after graduation!”
- Nicole Pitkin (@nicoleprchicago): “Having been eager to continue my career since I graduated college in May 2008, I have had multiple internships that furthered my knowledge faster that I ever imagined. With experience in marketing, PR, event planning, social media, non-profit work, internet marketing, and sales, I jump in head first to ever opportunity I see. I have a strong passion for social media, PR, marketing and Chicago that would add enthusiasm to any office.”
- Erica Lawton (@ericalawton): “Employers: You should hire me because I am smart, driven, and passionate about communication and people. I am just starting my career, and I am eager to take on a challenging and rewarding opportunity to contribute to your organization and prove myself as an up-and-coming professional. With my academic background and internship experience, I am confident that I am an excellent candidate!”
- Janelle Maluenda: “Big ideas. Big energy. Big work ethic. Big heart. All in 130 pounds of Hawaiian glory!”
- Kristin Davie: “I have never used unemployment as an excuse for being disengaged. I come armed with agency experience, dedication, and a great sense of humor. I also maintain my own blog, a platform that has afforded me additional writing and pitching experience, as well as an opportunity to appear on the Fox News program Fox & Friends. I’m social-media savvy, but please don’t take my word for it- take a look for yourself!”
Jason Abrahams: “Having recently been laid off from my former agency employer due to downsizing, I am ready for a new and exciting career changing in the PR world. With strong account management, interpersonal and creative skills along with my marketing communications, event planning and social media experience, I know how to get PR results for my clients. My strong work ethic, passion for success and entrepreneurial spirit is second to none and gives me the ability to prioritize and get things done efficiently and effectively.”
Kristin Adams (@ka23a): “I actually just started a campaign this morning as an attempt to get attention from Amy Martin – who I am dying to work for at Digital Royalty. I wrote a blog post and am working on Twitter to gain attention. Normally, this is NOT how I would go about a job hunt but since Amy seems to appreciate the zany social media strategy I am giving it a try!”
- Grant Turck (@grantturck): “You should hire me because you need a strategic and creative communicator with experience in the film and television industry who understands a successful public relations campaign depends on a strategic mix of traditional and new media tactics.”
- Michelle Crispin (@mediaho): “You should hire me because:
1. Everyone needs a mediaHo, whether they realize it or not. There’s nothing like having someone else toot your horn for you; 2. I understanding branding; 3. I’m a do-er. I visualize and communicate concepts, then implement them. I was a quarterback as a tomboy back in Pittsburgh, I’m still quarterbacking as a mediaHo today. I know how to put together the game plan, delegate when necessary, and get the job done; 4. Education + experience = me. Double major scholarship student in college: Communications (PR) & Music (Piano Performance). I was a professional touring musician for many years, then I transitioned to the other side of the entertainment industry. Three months after getting a job at a record label to write press releases & answer phones, they made me General Manager. I know this industry inside and out; 5. That being said, I’m still learning …; 5. Yes, I love books and wear glasses. Yes, I’m a self-confirmed geek, Trekkie, and I love my nerdgear. BUT, I’m also a social butterfly. Among the services I offer my clients: Pep Talks & Happy Hours; 6. I can handle the pressure. I’m a single income single mom with 2 kids in elementary school. Talk to me about pressure. I’ve learned to multi-task in the most organized, creative and effective way possible. Make it fun & make it work, that’s my motto at home & with my job; 7. I need you as much as you need me. This is how I support myself & my 2 monsters. Why would I screw that up?”
- Jennifer L. Lovett: “I have nine years of PR experience in some of the most diverse circumstances: war, Darfur, rape court cases, personnel draw downs – and my contacts are worldwide; if I don’t immediately know the answer, I know where to find it!”
- Natalie Bednarz (@nataliebednarz): “You should hire me because it means you will gain a team member that has an education in traditional PR and is quick to grasp new media concepts. Although my main work experience is in technology, this allows me to bring fresh ideas and methods that increase media coverage, cultivate better targeted press lists and present the best PR experiences for my clients/employer. My work ethic is undisputed; I work hard and truly believe in what I do can make a difference.”
- Brittany James (@bitty_boop): “You should hire me because…through my work in PRSSA, various internships and involvement in social media I have improved my skills in public relations. Over the past six months, I have taken my learning to a new level, more specifically learning about the new forms of social media as they are developed. With each day I continue to express my eagerness to learn and grow by interacting with my peers and professionals. I am always up for a new challenge no matter the level of difficulty.”
- Kim Allen (@knallen): “I have held 3 successful internships in various PR settings. At each I gained the confidence to work and function in fast paced, multitask, team work environments, all while developing my professional skills. Throughout my internships my successes are having press releases published, pitching stories to the media about clients and events, getting increased attendance to events, managing a variety of Social Medias, building PR kits and contributing to various in office publications. With all my accomplishments you will find that I am the confident, experienced, passionate PR professional that you are looking for.”