HOW TO prepare your guest for a live web show
- 22 Comment
I’m always learning. Today I had a live (and last minute I might mention) web show that a took a turn for the…weird. It was a perfect storm of miscommunication, lack of knowledge about web tools, etc. Hey, we all make mistakes. When something like this happens, the first thing I do is figure out how to ensure it will not happen again. Enter the “live web show preparation guide.” This is a document I will now send to EVERY guest who joins in from a remote location. I share it with you in the hopes it will prevent others from making a similar mistake. I’m also a firm believer of sharing content like this so no one needs to reinvent the wheel.
If you do a live show on Ustream (or any web platform), you may want to beg, borrow and steal these tips to share with your interviewees. Copy, paste, add your logo and create a PDF. Voila!
Thank you for agreeing to be a guest on <insert show name>. Using video is a great way to interact with an audience and to generate engaging content. To ensure a live web show goes as smoothly as possible for both parties, it’s important to understand the tools you’ll use.
If you’ve received this guide it’s because you and <show host name> will not be in the same room for the interview. That means a few things on your end need to happen for the show to come to life.
T H E T O O L S
What you’ll need:
- Web cam
- High speed Internet connection
- Quiet area
- Good lighting
- Ear buds
- A Ustream channel
NOTE: Change out this portion to reflect the web platform you use.
U S T R E A M . T V
Don’t have a Ustream channel? You will need one for this interview, even if you’ll never use it again. Follow these steps to create your account (you can always delete it after the show):
- Go to: http://ustream.tv
- Select “sign up” in the upper right hand corner
- If you have a Facebook account, you can click “Connect with Facebok”
- If you do not have a Facebook account or do not want to link your Facebook account, complete the required fields
- Click Submit
- Go to the email account you used to register and click the verify email address message
- Under “QUICK LINKS” click on “Create a show” (SEND THE SHOW NAME TO <insert host name>)
H O W T O J O I N A S A G U E S T
The day of the show you’ll want to sign in to your Ustream account at least 45 minutes before the show. This will give you a chance to work out any issues before the live show. Here’s how you will become a guest of the show:
- Go to http://ustream.tv
- Log in with your username and password
- Click “Broadcast Now”
- Another dialogue box will pop up (DO NOT CLOSE IT)
- You will be prompted to allow Ustream to use your web cam and audio (SELECT “ALLOW”)
- You should now see yourself on camera (IT IS NOT LIVE YET)
- Check the angle of your web cam and lighting to make sure you look your best
- In the lower half of the page, CLICK ON AUDIENCE TOOLS
- Select “Pick a live Ustream show as cohost”
- Copy and paste this link in “Enter channel URL” <enter your channel URL>
- Click “Search”
- Select <insert your show name> show and click “invite”
- Click on “start broadcast”
- CLOSE OUT OF THE USTREAM WEB PAGE (not the new page that popped up)
- <insert show host name> will already be signed on and ready to test audio and video
- <insert show host name> will take care of starting and ending the broadcast and recording
T R O U B L E S H O O T I N G
Just prior to the show you should do the following:
- Clear your browser’s cookies
- Close out of ANY additional programs, web browsers, etc.
- Filter out any background noise
- Turn off mobile phones, pagers (or turn to silent)
- Plug in your ear buds to the headphone jack on your computer